onsdag 16 september 2009

Blog assignment 1

My thoughts on the article Snooping bosses.

This article takes up an important and interesting subject, and my opinions are split about what I think, what is right and what is wrong. Personally I want to protect my own interests and what I do with my personal life. On the other hand I can totally understand that the boss of a company wants control of his or hers employees and that they are actually working when they are at the workplace.

Put yourself in the boss's situation. You always have to stay in top of the competition, it's your fault if it goes bad for the company and you got a lot of employees that depend on you that they will get their salary at the end of the month.

I think it’s understandable and also in the boss's full rights to control that people are working, as long as they separate the surveillance and know the difference between work life and private life. If I had a boss who “googled” my name and found some stuff about me that didn't fit into his/hers vision of the perfect employee and brought that to my attention, then I would consider to leave that job.

However, if the boss came and talked to me and said “I saw that you were surfing to Facebook today at 2 pm and then at 3 pm you spent half an hour watching movies on Youtube”, I would apologize and promise that it wouldn't happen again. Because when I'm at work I get paid for doing my job, if I could get paid for my private surfing I would be happy but the world doesn't work that way.

So to conclude, people have to stop whining that they are being watched when they are working, and just be happy that they actually have a job. If you don't like it, there is one very simple solution, don't do private stuff during working hours. I think that you can wait until you get home before you send that email to your mom, or poke your love interest on Facebook. And to the bosses that watch their workers even after work hours, spying on their personal life, you're just pathetic and got too much spare time.



4 kommentarer:

  1. Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I agree with you on a lot of things. I also think it hard to choose "side". Just like you wrote, I can see good and bad things on both sides. It most be hard to be boss and lose a lot of money because of the employers. On the other hand, you wont your privacy.

    I think it could be OK with surveillance if the boss knows "the difference between work life and private life" just like you wrote.

    I also agree with you that spying on the employees in their spare time is not OK and just pathetic.

    SvaraRadera
  3. You have written a post that is quite similar to the one I made. Therefore I agree with a lot of the things you are saying here. However, I do believe that employees should have the right to know that they are being monitored. You might agree or disagree with me but you didn't touch upon this issue so that is why I'm giving you this comment.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I think it's good that you wrote about when spying is ok. If your boss spy on you after work that is not ock, but at work he or she must be able to look after his or hers employees.

    Anna Månsson

    SvaraRadera