måndag 21 december 2009

Space - The Final Frontier

One thing that I find fascinating and interesting about the book Contact, is how the world changes when they discover extra terrestrial life. All of the nations in the world come together and work as a team to achieve their goal, build the machine. War turns to peace, religious contradictions turns into understanding, etc. Sure, there is still some political agendas, but not as much.

I like this thought, and that is also how I think the world will turn out in a couple of centuries. That we are all people of earth, and should stand together as people of earth. In the infinity of the universe, with probably (at least I think so) thousands of civilisations, who cares if you believe in the protestant or the catholic version of God. All the problems here on earth just seems so puny and insignificant when you think of the big picture.

The reason I choose the title “Space – The Final Frontier” for this text, is that it comes from the sci-fi series Star Trek. In that world, a thousand years into the future, the universe is being explored by mankind and new extra-terrestrials is found very often. This future world reflects what the world in Contact is heading for, and also our own real world. In that world man doesn't introduce themselves as an American or a Swede, he or she is from the planet Earth, where there is peace and equality.

That is a world that I'm longing for, although I don't think I will ever get to experience it. Because the only thing that will really join all the people on earth is the fact that there is other civilisations out there. I think only then will we be able to think in a bigger perspective and stop to focus on idiotic things. We have to cross the final frontier.

1 kommentar:

  1. I'm sure you like science-fiction a lot more than I do :D but anyway I found your reflections quite interesting. As you mentioned with standing together as people of earth, what difference could it be thinking in other spectras? Of course your thought is great but I don't think thats the solution. There are always judging people that likes to destroy, mess up or just argue for their own best. Thats what makes this world! If people didn't care at all there would be a lot of problems. Just look at "Story of Stuff", and you will notice that we all are too lazy to make such a thing work.
    I can't say I dont agree with you, I just find it hard to believe.

    SvaraRadera