My thoughts on Story of Stuff.
Yet again someone is telling us that we destroy the world and that we have to change our lives. I'm getting sick and tired of all those lectures. However, the thing is, although I don't like it we still need these kinds of videos. So it's not that I don't like the video, it's just that I'm getting tired of people who never change and that we still have to produce and lecture people about this. There have been talk for many years now how you can help and save the environment, just by doing small things like take the bus or turn off the lamp. But still people doesn't learn! And I can't understand how it can be so hard for the knowledge to get into some people's heads.
Even thou the video was well produced and she says some interesting things, I can't help to wonder if it's all true, how much can you trust her? I always think that when someone tries to influence others with their opinions that they modify or present all the facts, so it always seems like they are the “good guys”. Like the part in the video about the computer, she says that you HAVE to buy a new computer after a couple of years because a tiny little part is out of date. It's a very simple task to change any component in a computer and it doesn't require a lot of knowledge, and by doing so you don't have to buy a new computer, you can just change some parts when you think it's necessary and keep your computer for many years.
Another thing I didn't like about this video was that she didn't present any sources to her facts, we just have to accept that what she is saying is the truth. I haven't had the time yet to look around on her web page to see if there are any sources there, so feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
OK, a lot of complaints about the video right now, but to summarize: although there were some things that I didn't quite accept it's still a good video with an important message. But it just sucks that when we are close to the end of 2009 that videos like these still have to be produced. Why can't people learn sometime?
Prenumerera på:
Kommentarer till inlägget (Atom)
Hi Markus,
SvaraRaderaIt’s quite true – people never learn, and yes, we have heard it so many times. Maybe too many.
You brought up the question if Annie Leonard is to be trusted, to some extent she is. When I watched the video, all I saw was a person who tried to sell me something and that ticks me off. I’m so sick and tired of all telemarketing and advertisements on TV etc.
I believe that I have seen some additional facts on their webpage, I haven’t read it so I can’t comment on whether they seem to be true or not.
Regards,
Marie
Yes, there seems to be an awful lot of talk about this. However, I don't necessarily feel that all that many people change habits to combat these problems. This likely won't change until it is considered the norm to do so.
SvaraRaderaI agree with you that I feel that it’s unrealistic to say that you need to buy a new computer after only a couple of years because off some tiny part that can’t be replaced.
SvaraRaderaI don’t know if Sweden is so much different than USA but you really get the feeling that they consume so much more than us, only to dump it somewhere. Hopefully this video gets out to as many people as possible, so it can make a difference.